Sunday 8 April 2007

The Escape

Wi-Fi !!
I remembered reading on the flight magazine that the new airport had excellent Wi-Fi facilities. Once I got hold of a map of the airport, I went around looking for Wi-Fi enabled hotspots. With the 20 minutes of battery remaining on my laptop, I had to configure the connection and then see some friends who are online on Skype or IMs and see if there was anyone who could bail me out of this mess! (Basically someone who is willing to pay and get me out of Vienna that night to Paris if possible!)

Every single minute looked so precious. Rebooting and configuring took ages, but I was lucky to see four of my friends online. One in Lausanne, another one in Gent, and two others in Paris, out of which one had the status "away". Ivan started laughing hearing the story commenting, "Oh boy! Only you can make life so exciting and complicated like this!!!" (Back home we say that only true friends can laugh at you when you are in deep trouble! ;)). Cs already pressed the panic button and started trying out all cards and she had no idea if her card would actually work.

Since the battery was fading away, I logged off hoping one of them might be able to do the magic for me and send me the e-ticket to my email id. Either I had to find a power socket to continue browsing or I had to log in again to try my luck. While I was setting up my "bed" where I saw a power socket in one of the corners, the angel came in front of me. Maya! She saw the message left by Nick on her msn and had driven all the way to come and pick me up. We went home, I logged in again to check if I had a ticket. Cs had bought a ticket already with help from her mother and I was in the airport first thing in the morning.

It will be a long story if I go on sharing how I ended up in Paris after few hours with just another one Euro and fifty Cents in my pocket. May be some other time. In less than one year, we also had to witness Cs almost going away from us when she visited us in Bangalore. All for later.

Stay tuned! (You can see that I have been listening to too much of crap of FM these days on my mobile! ;))

Bangalore © GP 2007

No comments: