Wednesday 22 November 2006

Common Platform

Bangalore

My thoughts went on this line:

"Where do I fit into the whole scenario?
I am not an activist,
I have not been involved in any such movements,
I have no scientific knowledge,
I don't even know why the river is dying or
If it's actually "already dead!" or
better, if it was actually dying at all?"

All I could see was emotional responses.
Earlier, when I decided to stay back and work for the river, I really didn't have much idea on how the whole thing was going to take shape. I just knew this is what I wanted to do. All of a sudden, there was clarity in mind in terms of what I didn't want to do with my life!!

Even at that moment, I never thought that I would set up a foundation and then that I will explore ways to support the same foundation to work for the river!

While doing a SWOT analysis of the situation, I started looking deep into my own "Strengths" and "Weaknesses". Then as if it's a board of chess game, set up those along the "Opportunities and against the "Threats" that the situation offered.

If I need to talk to the world about a dying river, I need to have thorough knowledge about it. Unless, I don't have that, I didn't think that I would ever be able to talk with conviction for sure.
I did consult couple of my friends in my village if they know about any research work that could throw light into this. They told me about "bits and pieces" lying down with various people; but not any single published source. This statement took me back to what I noticed that night once again. There were people on the banks of the river, who have had undertaken studies, there were "n" number of "River Protection Committees" (Puzha Samrakshana Samiti).

But, they hardly come on a common platform. What keeps them apart?

EGO related issues
Superior-Inferior complexes.
Fear of not getting the credit for their hard work
Fear of someone stealing their hard work and
many more...

Well, now this is another topic for discussion :) May be in the next one...

© GP 2006

No comments: