Saturday 25 November 2006

Ground reality

Bangalore

Within a month, it was clear that what we had budgeted was going to fly above the roof! Ground realities and what we had in our mind were totally different stories.

I didn't have much money left with me after the prolonged illness of my father; I didn't even have a job ever since I came from the UK. Until my father died, I was still playing with the idea of setting up a consultancy on disaster management in India. Since the discussions about setting up an office with Fritz Institute in India didn't materialise, I was totally at loss.

If not for the prompting from J, I think I would have stayed back in the UK.

When we (J and I) moved to Bangalore, I still was thinking about a career in Disaster Management. After moving to our new rented apartment in CK Gardens, the first thing I did was to get in touch with Dr. Venkataramana, a leading Neurosurgeon in Bangalore Manipal hospital, who was the brain behind Comprehensive Trauma Care (CTC). We decided to work together to develop a software program to ease the rescue and relief operations CTC was involved in and around Bangalore.

But none of this was bringing in any money to survive. With whatever little that was in the bank and overdraft facility that touched every possible limit, we had to figure out something. Luckily, J found a job quite easily and that was a relief.

© GP 2006

No comments: