Sunday 3 December 2006

Elephants










Bangalore

Arun and I were in Wayanad on new location scouting. Once the activities and programs along River Nila was kind of identified, we were looking for a location that could be offered as an extension to our guests who come to River Nila

Because of torrential rain since morning, it was late when I left Kalpetta. While changing my wet clothes behind his tea shop next to the check post, Maathan told me that I wouldn't be able to cross the river on time if I don't rush. He was one of our guides from the indigenous community who lives on the fringe areas of the forests close to the Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary.
I should have listened to him!

Instead, I took my own time to change my wet clothes, and even stayed further more after I spotted a Malabar Whistling Thrush.

Before I reached the Karnataka-Kerala border, I could see a long Que of vehicles on the sanctuary road. Water level had risen in the swollen river and had started over flowing on to the road. Though some vehicles were taking risks, most of them were waiting patiently to see if the rain water was going to recede. I waited there for almost an hour and it was past already quarter to six.

Knowing about my urgency to reach Bangalore the same night as J was arriving that night from Paris, Maathan suggested that I push my motorbike through the hip-level water before it rises further. I wasn't keen on pushing my bullet (Royal Enfield 350CC motor bike) as I was worried about water getting into the silencer. So couple of the local boys (who were gauging the water level rise since morning) offered a polythene sheet, with which they covered the mouth of the silencer and made it water proof. Later we pushed it through the water and went on to the other side.

Well, I was once again soaking wet after walking through the water. Didn't really care much to change again, even though it was freezing cold. I had another 6-7 hours to cover by road including one hour and a half stretch through the forest.

Having been crisscrossing this stretch of Wildlife Sanctuary for many years, I was fairly knowledgeable about the terrain.The moment I started climbing up from the water logged road, I knew that I might face trouble coz of the possibility of another river over flowing on the same road, which makes the place I am riding in to an island!

In few minutes I had to stop by a curve as I saw a herd of elephants in a distance. Having faced such situations several times while living in Masinagudi (Mudumalai Wildlife Sanctuary), I was cautious. Anyways, I had no options left than to wait. I didn't dare to switch off the engine though. Even took off my helmet so that I could hear even small sounds and was on guard.

If not for the uncertainty of -What-will-happen- next-, it was quite an amazing moment. Green green every where, wonderful sighting towards the Bandipur side, and trickling water drops from the trees after rain and hundreds of chirping birds.

But,

-the hanging rain clouds,
-setting sun and
-the elephants almost hundred metres ahead didn't quite make things any easier.

The thought that I was stuck in an island, probably alone (as I didn't see any other vehicles following me!) wasn't comfortable either. What worried me the most about the elephants were the presence of couple of calf's on either side of the road. Some of them were crossing the roads, and the others remained observing all around. Though known for their poor eye sights, I wasn't really sure if I was out of their "radar". (Anyways, I was sure they were aware of my "Bullet's" engine!)

I was sure that I had to get out within ten minutes or else, I am going to get stuck as I wont have any visibility of the surrounding except with the halogen lamp on my moto. Luckily, I found company in a truck and a small 800 cc Maruti car that came through the water. Seeing me stranded there, they asked me if there was any problem. I smiled and asked them to look ahead. The young folks in the car were presumably drunk, but the lorry driver seems to be knowing what he was doing. He told me to follow him closely as he expected the elephants to move seeing the truck coming.

They moved slowly and while I was trying to put my helmet back and position my back-pack properly, the engine switched off !!

Shit!

After having waited all this time with the engine on, and when I got an opportunity to move out of the situation, the bike cheated me! (Or I pressed something that I shouldn't have out of tension!!!)

Whatever, I was left behind by the vehicles by the time I started the engine, they had crossed the danger zone. I was in the company of furious elephants once again! They were trumpeting, and am sure they quite didn't like the idea of those vehicles moving through their territory.

Gosh, they were so annoyed that I thought they were going to come towards me. I took off my helmet again (I needed to hear the surroundings!) and I slowly put the bike in neutral and went back wards little by little, only to see another herd of elephants on the road behind me!

I know what I was going to do was stupid, but I had to take a decision. I pumped in the throttle, made big noise and -don't-ask-me-how- I reached on the other side of the road. I almost felt one of the elephants turning its huge body towards my direction, but I was safe. Phoo!

Two-three minutes after this adrenalin pumping experience, I was on the straight road to Gundalpet.

A white Tata Sumo, coming opposite to me from Gundalpet side, all of a sudden stopped screeching and I was wondering!

Only when I looked into the mirror did I see what it meant.

There was a tusker chasing me!

And on the mirror, it was written in grey scale, "Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear"!

© GP 2006
Photo © GP The elephant picture was shot in the same location a year later when J and I went to Wayanad

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was interesting to read your encounter with the wild elephants.